Saturday, June 14, 2008

My life lately

To be honest my life lately has been pretty boring. I was thinking about it last night and I feel pretty spoiled. I was laying in a hammock watching the sunset against the palm tree in my backyard on the island where I live. I see the sunrise over the ocean most mornings and get paid to work with sea turtles. I don't have to pay rent as long as I do yard work and I never have to worry about wearing a jacket. Why am I feeling stressed and unsatisfied with my life? I'm not quite sure about that one, but I am sure about how I feel. I'm bored. I'm bored at work, I'm bored at church and I'm bored with going to the beach. I know sounds bad, but I'm there 40 hrs/wk for work and it's not like normal beaches. There are soo many bugs and gross things in the water I don't even like to go in anymore. And I can only handle so much sun before I feel like I'm cooking myself. Oh, and an explanation for being bored at work? Well, I do "work with sea turtles" but lets be honest-I've seen about 5 turtles since I got here and I work 40-50 hrs/wk. Most of my time is spend washing and gasing vehicles or trying to make myself appear busy so our completely insane project manager will think I'm a good worker and let me patrol more. Oh and by the way, NEVER take a job that has patrol in the job description. All that means is that you will be driving around by yourself waiting for something to happen (which I guess is better than wandering around headquarters trying to create work for yourself). BORING! I do like my job when something is happening (turtles nesting or hatching) but I wish we could just be on call or something. I can't handle much more of this. But that is the beauty of the seasonal worker. I don't have to. So now I am faced with what to do when the job is over. I think I'll just apply for as many jobs as I can and take the one that pays the most...and wont be boring.

6 Comments:

At Sun Jun 15, 02:43:00 PM MDT , Blogger M.climb said...

A note on the not being satisfied with how life is going. I think that feeling like that is a good thing to have. I am doing what I want to be doing with my life and have been doing it for several years and have it very good as well but I always feel that twinge. if you are perfectly pleased with your life then you shouldn't be alive you have everything. I think you should keep following that feeling it will lead you to good things.

 
At Sun Jun 15, 08:15:00 PM MDT , Blogger Mary Grace said...

oh josie!!! i miss you!! i am sorry you feel that way. i agree with marcus a little bit. you should never be completely satisfied. But you should be happy. Just think about the the REASON you are happy. its not external :) or it shouldnt be anyway. environment is a powerful thing, but i think you are stronger than that. wow i leave in TWO WEEKS!!!! i cant beleive it. okay call me when you have off next :) love you

 
At Mon Jun 16, 04:42:00 AM MDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think about on-line courses in something you want to develop, learn or improve. Communications, music, art, home design, drafting, business admin, small business, classical guitar, piano, genealogy, teaching degree, fun things...a sport... a once a week class at a college, or at a rec center or on internet. You would have your days off to do the homework. One class at a time, you could get another degree, if you want.
LOL,
Mom

 
At Mon Jun 16, 04:52:00 AM MDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes----If you are near a YMCA you could volunteer to help teach children a sport, or get paid to life guard at a recreational center pool on your days off. Also, if you go to LDS.org you can click on humanitarian aid. Our church is in need of volunteers to put together first aid packets, school bags, hygiene kits, crochet or sew baby clothes, and permission is granted to download and copy the patterns to make the items they need. You could get volunteers to pay for the supplies & postage, or someone at church may be driving to SLC that would take them to the humanitarian aid in SLC. It's really fun to make the little clothing for babies.
LOL,
Mom

 
At Tue Jun 17, 01:53:00 PM MDT , Blogger William Cobb said...

gee, mom sure knows how to keep busy!

i can relate to what you said, and with marcus. i've realized that not everything's going to be perfect but at least we can try to get as close to it as possible... and getting pretty darn close is the best place to be!

 
At Tue Jun 17, 03:21:00 PM MDT , Blogger Angela said...

Maybe I'm insane, but I totally think you can be satisfied with life. Being satisfied and happy doesn't mean that your complacent and accept a crappy life, it means you've maximized and sought after the things that bring you the greatest joy-- you'll still have bad days/bad moods and experience lameness. . .but that's totally different than that unsettled, uneasy feeling that you get when you're not happy, lonely and unsatisfied. Then again, maybe I'm totally not reading you right. Actually, I take that back. My job is really cool-- but compared to Brian's, mine's lame. Now, I'm not content in my job and I applied for another one that is SUPER cool, but if I don't get it, I'm stuck with my more lame job. So some things are external and we can't control, but our attitude we can? I don't know. . .

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home