Monday, December 11, 2006



I noticed something today while I was out on a walk with Kona that I had seen several times but never really realized what I was observing. I like to take Kona on the dike behind our house because I can let her off leash and there is lots of room for her to run and birds to chase. As we were leaving she flushed a pair of ringnecked pheasants. She's done this dozens of times but the cool thing I noticed was that the male who is more colorful and "flashy" flew out of the nest towards us, high in the air, while he made a bunch of noice. The female, more plain (see pictures) flew the opposite direction, close to the ground and without making a sound. I hardly noticed she was there. So that's what I noticed. Take it for what you want.

4 Comments:

At Tue Dec 12, 04:01:00 PM MST , Blogger Mary Grace said...

oh jo, youre such a biology major...haha thats cool though...the man protecting his lady...

 
At Wed Dec 13, 09:53:00 AM MST , Blogger kori said...

it's cool how smart animals and birds are, but we usually don't notice it

 
At Wed Dec 13, 10:35:00 AM MST , Blogger Fern said...

I think it's cool that no matter how smart animals and birds may be, we can always out smart them......and EAT them! Yummy.
hehehe

 
At Thu Dec 14, 11:15:00 PM MST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jo,
You are assuming the the pair are working together in an effort to protect the nest, but maybe the male was just dumb, not smart enough not to know which direction to fly and the female was the smarter one who sneaked off. Sometimes it's that way in humans too, the male hasn't a clue which way to go and has to be lead around by the flashier female, haha.
Mare's Father.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home