Monday, March 19, 2007

Glass half full...or empty?

WARNING:Bipolar post ahead. The first paragraph is sad and not uplifting. Don't read it if you don't want to. The second one is about the weekend at Moab...could it get any better?

Once again depressed by the news. Why do I read the newspaper on my lunch break? I don't know. Maybe it's because I can't join in on the fishing and hunting stories. I read about some sad things today. Two brothers (in their 20's) and their dog went back country skiing by the Darby wind caves. The avalanche watch said there was low risk and they were both experienced back country skiers and "did everything by the book". They got close to the top and the snow shifted as an avalanche started. The one brother reported watching helplessly as the snow swept away his younger brother and the dog, taking his brothers life. Another sad story was about two 14 year old boys who raped a 14 year old girl. They are being tried as adults. The actual sentence was for "forced penetration". Sick! Why can't they just leave it as a rape case. Ok, and the last one (when I decided to stop reading) was about a child molester. I guess there are rules about how far registered sex offenders can live from school bus stops. This particular man lived closer than he was allowed and nothing was done about it. Neighbors reported that he would go down to the bus stop and watch the kids get on in the morning and then go back again and watch them get off. (WHY WAS THIS ALLOWED?!) He is now being charged for molesting and killing a kindergartner. The boys body was found in a black trash bag in a dumpster 4 days after he had gone missing. He was one of the children that rode the bus. What the heak is wrong with people! Why would you let a registered child molester live next to a school bus stop and watch the kids get on and off every day! It just makes me thing of the stupid cops that give me speeding tickets. Why can't they go bust pedophiles or put in some time researching things that would prevent things like this. Ok, on the same note though, I know there have been kids killed by speeding drivers so who's to say what is worse. On my blog...I am. I think it's a lot worse to have people intentionally hurting people than doing it as a result of being irresponsible. They are both bad, but that's my opinion.


Moab this weekend was soo awesome! I know it's been said on everyone elses blog, but I need to say it too. My weekend started Thursday night after work. I was packing and waiting for Mary to get done with her slacklining thing at the school when Kori decided to join us as well. We loaded up my truck and headed to Utah. We pulled into Highland around 2am to find Sterling up and watching T.V. The next morning after a little bit of run around we headed to Moab :) Mary, Kori, Kona, Granite and I met up with Jens and carpooled. Our truck was soo loaded it looked like we were moving in! Our first stop was Big Bend (a bouldering area). It was soo hot there and after sitting in the car for so long I was a little sluggish but I got going after a while. We worked a bunch of sweet bouldering problems and I ran into a guy that I knew from Petco. It's a small world. I really like my new shoes. And it felt soo good to climb in the sun on real rock again. That night we met up with Angela, Catherine, Lindsey, Adam and Scott and had dinner at the park. We set up a slack line and just had a good time. We then headed to our campsite, reserved by Angela's cousin. It was packed! There were BYU students and who knows who else there. Not to mention the eight people we added. Saturday morning the marathon runners (Angela, Catherine and Lindsey) were up early and gone by 7:30. The rest of us had to get out quickly to because they were closing the roads for the runners. We headed to Amasa back trail. A multi use trail for bikers, hikers, 4 wheelers and jeeps. All of which we saw on the trail. I definitely thing biking it was the best way. It was a 16 mile round trip route on a trail that reminded me of a combination of slick rock and porcupine rim trail. Two of my favorites. It was 8 miles up hill to the peak and then we turned around and headed back...8 miles down. Kona and Granite did great for their first real ride of the summer. The view from the top was awesome. On one side was the La Sal mountains with red rock below and on the other was a gorgeous canyon with the river running through it. After the ride through 80 degree sunshine I was exhausted and ready for the super secret swimming hole. Also known as the hippy pools. We met up with the runners again and headed to the swimming hole. The water was really cold but it was refreshing. Just what we needed to get us pumped up for more climbing at Wall Street. We set up 3 really cool climbs and by the time we all had done them the sun was going down. We stopped at Arches National Park (free after dark) and ate dinner. After a little rest and food we were ready for our drive home. Well I thought I was. I fell asleep hard about 30 minutes into the drive. So did Kori. It's a good thing Jens can hold his own. I woke up a few times and tried to strike up conversation but with no luck. My story doesn't end here. Sunday morning we woke up, showered and tried to get dressed for church. Mary was the only one who brought a skirt so Kori and I were left with our imaginations. This was unacceptable to my mother who has recently been caring a lot more about our appearances. I once again was able to reap the rewards of such feelings and walked away with quite a few new pieces of clothing that would be suitable for a sacrament meeting in Highland. Thanks mom! :)After church we got some food and the family together and took a drive up the American Fork Canyon. We stopped at a picnic area, ate some tacos and played on the slack line. Sterling brought his fishing gear but mostly hung out with us. That night Kori, Mary and I had a pretty fun ride home. I can't really remember what we talked about but I remember thinking it was entertaining. It's good to have good friends. This morning I was up bright and early to meet my volunteers with a puffy face and tangled hair. My job seems a lot harder when I'm tired.
Well I don't think my recap of the weekend really did it justice. I had soo much fun this weekend. The sunshine and outdoors hit the spot for me and I can't wait for summer to be in Idaho! Also I love my family and friends.

4 Comments:

At Mon Mar 19, 03:28:00 PM MDT , Blogger Fern said...

**Also I love my family and friends.**
haha. Love the ending! Sounds like you had a fun weekend. Those stories were pretty disturbing. Reminds me why I'll never let any future kindergartener of mine go to the bus stop (or anywhere else for that matter) alone.

 
At Mon Mar 19, 04:13:00 PM MDT , Blogger kori said...

it was a sweet weekend, it felt so good to play outside in the sun again! wouldn't have been the same without my best friends.

 
At Mon Mar 19, 04:33:00 PM MDT , Blogger William Cobb said...

wow i liked how you described everything!

today i'm going to make a second stab at rock climbing by driving east on the 60 to queen creek. melissa's coming this time and i've got directions from a book, so i'm sure i'll get to climb something today!

 
At Tue Mar 20, 12:13:00 PM MDT , Blogger tolman said...

wow why wasent i informed about this trip? maby you girls just didnt want us around :(

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home