Monday, November 13, 2006

hello. Well I guess I have a few things to report. We had our volunteer banquet last Thursday and despite all the stresses I think it went pretty well. We managed to make sure everyone walked away with something and that's always good. It was a fun weekend too. Kori and I went out to Mud Lake and primed her dutch oven (that she won at the banquet) and made dinner in it. Then we went back to the bunkhouse, watched a movie and made peanut butter yummies. Saturday I spent collecting and spreading sage seeds and discing a field. At the banquet my supervisor presented me with an award. I didn't look at it until later, but it's a $100 gift certificate to Sportsman's Warehouse! whoop yeah! I've already picked out a pair of $99 snowshoes that I'm going to pick up. Also while I was reading a biking magazine I came up with this crazy idea that I have already talked with a few of my friends about. I'm doing AmeriCorps again next year which means I have 300 hours to do a "personal project" that will benefit humanity somehow. I want to get a good cause, some sponsors and bike across the U.S. Well, at least from Canada to Mexico. www.adventurecycling.com has a ton of maps that they have designed to take you on the back roads so you can stay off the hyways. So far this tentative expedition is planned for August of 2007. I am still trying to decide if I should work my butt off (55 hours/wk) for another year and be completely debt free by December 2007 or take it easy (40 hrs/wk)and be left with $7,000 or so, take out a low interest loan against my truck and have "normal" bills for the next 5 years like everyone else.
Other than that...I'm just working on holiday plans. I have to give a presentation this Thursday to the Autobon Society. Then I think I'm going to start my Thanksgiving break.

6 Comments:

At Mon Nov 13, 08:48:00 PM MST , Blogger Mary Grace said...

ummm i am so excited about hits biking thing. but it takes a lot of planning, so we better get started...and are you going to wait for me for thanksgiving?> dont leave without me...we shoud board this weekend at the Ghee. it opens friday!!!

 
At Tue Nov 14, 07:31:00 AM MST , Blogger tolman said...

no wonder we are daiting , that sound just like me and what im trying to decide about debt , and a three month climbing trip , funny.

 
At Tue Nov 14, 11:32:00 AM MST , Blogger Fern said...

Are you still planning on going to graduate school? What was your personal project for this year? I love that they tell you to do something to benefit humanity. Y'know me, I love the "grand gestures".

 
At Tue Nov 14, 12:10:00 PM MST , Blogger kori said...

biking across the USA, whoopya!
I'm so excited, i need to get money for a road bike though. I'm dang excited for thanksgiving break too! chiamo

 
At Sun Nov 19, 07:34:00 AM MST , Blogger Fern said...

Jo, I saw this: http://www.careersabroad.co.uk/ website and it reminded me of you. Maybe you've seen it before, but it looked interesting. I've got to go stop procrastinating and stuff a turkey.
Fern

 
At Tue Nov 28, 06:45:00 AM MST , Blogger William Cobb said...

i like the biking idea. and after hearing the benefits you told me about i think it's a good idea to stay with Americorps another year. as for me, i thought i would do Anasazi again but as of last night i feel like something else would be a better option, i just haven't found out what that is yet.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home